December 9, 2016 for the New Year 2017
RE: The 11th anniversary date of my Sycuan Casino copyright infringement complaint.
Dear guests and supporters,
I am sorry to inform you of my career-ending complaint and second failed copyright infringement settlement 'negotiation' with the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation, the sovereign Sycuan Tribal Government under Chairman Cody J. Martinez.
The Sycuan Tribal Council's first offer to by "full rights" to my 30,000 Sycuan-related still photographs to settle my complaint in 2008 failed under Chairman Daniel J. Tucker when he withheld the tribal council's $125,000 payment without explanation and refused to return my letters or resolve the serious problems to my life that Sycuan Casino employees and contractors created through their alleged grossly negligent handling and illegitimate use and anonymous digital storage and release of my intellectual property.
- What's it like to work for Sycuan?
- How does Sycuan treat its employees, contractors and guests when they have a valid complaint?
- Read my honest testimonial about my personal experiences working for Sycuan over a 20-year period as a professional photojournalist, producer and consultant.
THE DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE SUPPORTING MY COMPLAINT LETTERS IS CLEAR AND CONVINCING
Ironically it was my respectfully asking a Sycuan marketing manager 10 years ago to the date to explain his second unauthorized 36-inch poster print run of my Kumeyaay map and the Sycuan Casino executive management's disrespectful reaction to my request that triggered my conflict with Sycuan's tribal leadership.
Sycuan employees' blatant plagiarism of my original map artwork was outrageous because they allegedly digitally erased my copyright, branding and consultant credits from both of their illegal print runs. And they added Sycuan's logo and distinct graphical branding despite the manager's personal written assurance in my licensing agreement that included only "one-time use" of my Map in a "Sycuan TV commercial."
THE ALLEGED RETALIATION & BLACKLISTING
Sycuan's tribal leadership's swift retaliation to my grievance in 2007, the untruths against my good name on the Sycuan Indian Reservation and unfair terminations from my Sycuan projects ultimately destroyed my good reputation in the tribal community, my career, and poisoned my massive professional legacy.
As news of my conflict with Sycuan's former leadership spread, it effectively got me blacklisted that's why I quit working on Kumeyaay.info in 2010 and posted this Sponsor Letter to donate my website and archive and move on. But the unresolved Sycuan conflict and stigma on my name is preventing me from even giving it away free.
SYCUAN'S NEW SETTLEMENT OFFER JANUARY 2016
It's true newly-elected Cody Martinez, Sycuan tribal chairman responded positively to my letter in 2015 for a "fair review of the facts and timely closure" of my open copyright infringement claims. He even arranged a meeting on the Sycuan Indian Reservation with his entire tribal council last December that seemed positive and on track.
Chairman Martinez's formal written offer in January of 2106 "to settle this matter," he wrote, was a "$125,000" payment for my "copyrights" and all "materials" contained in my "entire collection" of "images related" to his Kumeyaay "tribe and its members."
However, his negotiating style proved to be one-sided, dysfunctional, unfair, protracted and downright shameful for having Sycuan's vast professional management resources available:
- He dictated both price and terms.
- He refused to negotiate his price or his terms.
- His terms were ambiguous, incomplete and legally unenforceable.
- He refused to even discuss his terms beyond his last letter that he used to tack on his disclaimers and further confused his terms.
- He refused to supply me with a contract to review his offer in its detailed entirety, yet he required me to counter his price under his grossly ambiguous terms.
- In his last letter, he promised me "actual negotiations" with his council and even warned me he would "remain silent" if I didn't comply with his instructions.
- But even after I fully complied he broke his promise and clammed up AGAIN!
- And after his failure to close on Sycuan's settlement deal he and his fellow tribal council members refused to resolve (or even discuss) the pressing Outstanding Matters I outlined and mailed to them in my 03/25/2016 letter.
Unfortunately for all, the evidence and the Sycuan Tribal Council's silence left everyone with the burning question begging to be asked of the Sycuan people:
- Is Sycuan an organization of thieves operating under the colors of Tribal Sovereignty and Unfair Advantage?
I certainly have my opinion at this late date, but I am leaving the evidence in a breadcrumb trail for anyone to follow and draw their own conclusions:
Sycuan has protracted this for a decade now NOW is my time to finish my business with Sycuan. As a 60-year-old-man, I need to get my affairs in order.
SPECIAL NOTE TO THE GOOD PEOPLE OF THE WORLD
would like to add a note of gratitude and appreciation to the millions of visitors who visited Kumeyaay.info and enjoyed the fruits of my labor including the millions of additional visitors who visited my other websites.
It was my pleasure and honor to serve you and the communities around the world.
Very sincerely yours,
GARY G. BALLARD, Kumeyaay.info Founder and Webmaster
Disclaimer: sycuanbandofthieves.com, including the gballard.net and kumeyaay.info websites, are not affiliated with the Sycuan Band of Kumeyaay Nation, the Sycuan Tribal Government, the Sycuan Casino and Resort, the Sycuan Institute on Tribal Gaming, the Sycuan Fire Department, the Willow Glen and Sycuan Golf Resort in El Cajon, CA, or Sycuan's off-reservation U.S. Grant Hotel in downtown Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego, or any other of countless Sycuan community and commercial enterprises that I may not know about or list. Nor do these websites have any affiliation with San Diego State University, or the San Diego Padres major-league baseball team. The commentaries above are the opinions and views of Gary Ballard and he is solely responsible for its content. If you or your organization have any clarifications, concerns or input on the information contained on these websites, please CONTACT GARY at the link below.